

Today my target was to conquer the hilly terrain of the North Yorkshire Moors. Starting just outside Pickering, I completed a quite challenging 65km route in four and three-quarter hours.
After ascending the east side of Rosedale - a beautifully wide green valley - I then crossed a most desolate stretch of moorland - brightened only by the carpet of pink heather...oh and not forgetting the several hundred sheep!
After enjoying distant views of the coast around Whitby I then descended into Eskdale. From here my route intertwined with the railway and river until reaching Egton Bridge. Would you believe that my route circled a village called 'Fryup'? Having enjoyed one earlier for breakfast I decided to leave that exploration for the future!
My return route over the Moors was equally remote but at least allowed me to resume my acquaintance with the sheep - what cute animals they are, even if a little 'dim'!
After ascending the east side of Rosedale - a beautifully wide green valley - I then crossed a most desolate stretch of moorland - brightened only by the carpet of pink heather...oh and not forgetting the several hundred sheep!
After enjoying distant views of the coast around Whitby I then descended into Eskdale. From here my route intertwined with the railway and river until reaching Egton Bridge. Would you believe that my route circled a village called 'Fryup'? Having enjoyed one earlier for breakfast I decided to leave that exploration for the future!
My return route over the Moors was equally remote but at least allowed me to resume my acquaintance with the sheep - what cute animals they are, even if a little 'dim'!
My Dad would certainly have enjoyed the views and landscapes of today. In fact it has left quite an impression on me. Previously drawn more towards the countryside of the Yorkshire Dales, the North Yorkshire Moors is equally deserving of its title, as an area of outstanding natural beauty.

Sounds like a gorgeous ride. You remember to let me know if you need feeding up over the next couple of weeks!
ReplyDeleteIt's a long time since I saw North Yorks (prob 30 years), but I remember it exactly how you describe it. This sounds about right for this stage. NO point in overdoing it and then being worn out when it matters, I'm hoping to get a reasonable ride in tomorrow, but then I shall take it easier until 3rd Sept. Less than three weeks!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sarah, I might indeed take you up. However tonight I can barely move I've eaten so much...finished off nicely with a huge Morrisons scone smoothered in raspberry jam! I don't even want to think about how many calories I've consumed tonight!
ReplyDelete