Monday, 19 July 2010

TRAINING RIDE 13 - Attack of the thunderbugs

Had every ride been like today, believe me I'd have packed in this challenge months ago! Ok, I didn't exactly start off fresh after my exertions of yesterday. That said, the lack of power in my legs was not really a concern until about the 65km mark, when I think the phrase is 'I cracked'!

On top of general tiredness was what seems to be failing navigational skills. Starting in the latter part of yesterday's ride, it seemed to continue today, even with map and GPS system in hand. However, looking back I do blame it on some very strange signposting in the village of Tollerton. Stupidly I went against my instincts, instead believing the sign post, only to end up going round in circles.

But the most disturbing factor today was the swarms of 'killer thunderbugs'. First introduced to them yesterday for a short stretch, today they were out in their masses. Ok, when cycling, even running for that matter, you do get the odd midge/flying ant, whatever you want to call them, attaching themselves to your clothes. But today, they'd land and crawl all over you even standing still. In fact, I'd have inhaled them with every breath had my mouth not been tightly shut.

The only light relief today was when I came across a friendly shopkeeper in the Whixley Village Store. He mentioned how he'd noticed thunderbugs in his store today and asked whether I'd come across any? Had I ever!! I'd only spent the best part of a day fighting with them! Whether or not he still plans to take up cycling upon retirement after hearing my stories is anyone's guess! But oh how happy I was to meet someone else who actually appreciated the highly irritating nature of these lethal creatures!

Back to the ride, and somehow I completed 92km. That means 308 in the last 3 days, or more specifically the last 48 hours. Despite my best intentions to ride 500km in 5 days, I realise that without a rest day tomorrow, not only for a bit of R&R, but also to give myself time to stop scratching, I might not physically or mentally survive another ride!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a terrific effort. That is almost exactly what we have 3 days for in September. The 100 miles must have been tough in that sort of time with hills in the way. I'm sure you are ready for the main event already. I could do with a training partner - I'm hoping I may get some help in that direction at some stage as well. Good luck for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete