Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Finally I'm spinning!

Wow, I've finally tried my hand at spinning! What an experience and that was only the beginners' class! I was just thankful it was only 30 minutes!

Takes some getting used to I've got to say, not to mention a more delicate touch than I seem to have! Each time the instructor shouted 'up a gear' my hand seemed to slip and I'd shoot up about 10, which for my legs would be like hitting the wall!

I didn't quite manage to keep up with the 'reps per min' that were being shouted out along the way, but I did at least keep the pedals spinning throughout. I must say I was impressed how fast some people's legs were rotating! Even with a bit more practice I'm just not sure my legs will ever move that fast! I must just have a much more relaxed and leisurely riding style...more suited for the long haul I say!!

Still, I'm going to keep it up, at least twice a week I hope. After all, it's good to be challenged outside one's comfort zone.

3 comments:

  1. Yeay! I'm glad you enjoyed it (if enjoy is the right word to use). Your class sounds more complicated than mine, i've just got a dial to twist rather than gears and no-one shouts anything abut reps per minute which is a good thing as I have to concentrate on not collapsing throughout my classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second session completed and I must say I enjoyed it more tonight - a better instructor I'd say. Burned about 350 calories and covered a distance of around 13km, slightly more than last night. Meaningless though at the moment as I don't really have a comparison.

    I've even discovered why it's called Keiser Cycling - it's the brand of bike they use!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did spinning for about 3 months. It helped immensely, but the call of the fresh air is hard to resist at the moment. The machines we used were far more basic and so were the instructions! Just 'turn it up' and 'turn it up more' and 'keep going'. But it was certainly worth it and has made hills less difficult.

    ReplyDelete